FROM MELANIE ELSEY, LEGISLATIVE LIAISON FOR CHEO:
The State Board of Education Committee for Continuous Improvement has completed their discussion of the ODE’s recommended revisions to the home education rules. There are two revisions to the draft language that was posted for public comment.
In rule 3301-34-03 Notification – there were 2 revisions to paragraph (A)
- Changing the deadline to submit the notification to the local superintendent from “within one week of the start of the public school building” to “no later than the first week of the start of the public school building”
This revision was in response to public feedback requests for clarification.
- Removing “or employment” at the end of paragraph (A).
This was removed at the request of citizens who provided public feedback because there is no direct relationship to student employment and school notification for families.
The committee listened to a presentation of the rule changes by ODE staff and asked a few questions.
- Board member Dodd asked who was included in the communications from the ODE to solicit feedback on the revisions.
- Board member Dodd also asked general questions to help her understand the notification process.
- Board member Hagan requested for this set of rules (and generally for all rule revisions) that the ODE prepare a comparison document to visually present the existing rule – proposed revision – reason for the revision
The discussion closed. There will be a vote by this committee at the March meeting to refer the revisions to the full board. A full board vote is anticipated in April.
Attached is a complete copy of the modified revisions to the rules.