- Download the notification form and fill it out completely.
- Prepare a brief outline of your proposed curriculum, along with a list of textbooks, teaching materials, etc. that you intend to use for the school year. A curriculum outline needs to be prepared for each child. Attach to the notification form.
- Photocopy the original paperwork for your records and keep it in a safe place.
- Send your notification and outline by Certified Mail (with a return receipt requested) to the superintendent of your school district.
- It is the recommendation of CHEO that you complete the notification process prior to the first day of school in your district.* The district superintendent has a 14 day window to determine if the information provided is compliant with OAC 3301-34-03(A). Once this step is complete the superintendent is required to notify the parents in writing that the student is excused from attendance for the remainder of the school year.
*A note from CHEO’s legislative liaison, Melanie Elsey: “The need to be excused from compulsory attendance by the first day of school is not expressly written in text of OAC 3301-34 (Homeschool Regulations). However, it is expressly written in Chapter 3321 of the Ohio Revised Code. This is the chapter that provides the statutory authority for the existence of the home education regulations. This portion of state law describes truancy and specifies it is the responsibility of the parent to make sure the child is in attendance at school when the school year begins or the attendance officer may exercise police powers granted under RC 3321.17. This means the attendance (truancy) officer may serve warrants and “do whatever is necessary” to “enforce the laws relating to compulsory education”. Therefore, CHEO encourages all homeschool parents to submit notification prior to the first day of school.”
Information about year end assessments can be found here.