When should I arrive?
- Registration begins promptly at 8:45 am in the Statehouse Atrium.
- As you enter the Statehouse (1 Capitol Square),there will either be signage or a CHEO volunteer to direct you to the Atrium.
- If you have pre-registered for a tour of the Statehouse, please check in at the CHEO table upon arrival. We will direct you to the Map Room for your tour.
Where can I park?
- Parking in the Statehouse Garage (underground) will range from $5 – $10 (depending on the length of your stay).
- There is access to the underground parking from 3rd Street or from Broad St. There are 3 levels – green (first level), yellow (middle), and blue (lowest).
- Please keep the ticket issued upon entering the garage with you because you will pay for the ticket at a “pay station” located at the entrance to the Statehouse (green level) before returning to your car.
- Remember, you will be arriving during morning rush hour. Please allow extra time.
- For detailed parking information: Ohio Statehouse Garage Renovation
What is the agenda for the day?
8:45 Registration Begins in Atrium
9:15 9:15 Welcome – opening prayer, introductions, and announcements
9:45 9:30 Statehouse Guided Tour #1 (50 person limit)
10:45 Speaker: State Representative Reggie Stoltzfus (Atrium)
11:30 – 12:45 Lunch is on your own.
12:50 Ohio House Chamber Gallery – up to the max seating capacity
(Please be seated before session begins at 1:00pm. It is imperative that there is no distractive noise in the Gallery once session begins.)
1:00 Ohio House Session – Home educated students will be recognized by Ohio House Speaker Bob Cupp at the beginning of the session. After recognition students and parents may QUIETLY exit the gallery OR quietly stay as long as desired to observe the House in session.
1:45 Statehouse Guided Tour #2 (50 person limit)
2:30 Bill Foley, Civil War Interpreter
3:15 Wrap up / Prize drawing
In between the scheduled speakers and tours, we would encourage you to enjoy and make use of your day with the following suggestions:
- Schedule a time before 11 am OR between 12:30 and 2:15 pm to meet your State Senator and/or State Representative for a quick introduction or to discuss policy that is important to you. If you don’t have an appointment scheduled, you will need to call ASAP. If you are not sure who represents you, call your county board of elections and ask.
- Please keep in mind that some legislators will not be in Columbus if there is no scheduled session. It is equally important to stop by his or her office and meet the legislative aide. It would be wonderful if you could take your representative or senator or their staff something homemade and yummy!
- Have fun learning in the Statehouse Museum Education Center! It is a hands-on experience.
- Take part in the Scavenger Hunt created by CHEO. There will be a prize drawing at the end of the day for students who have completed the hunt to the satisfaction of their teacher. The Scavenger Hunt activity sheet may be picked up at the CHEO table at registration.
What should we wear?
- We would respectfully suggest that we all dress in a way that is comfortable and honors Christ. In meeting with legislators or their staff, you may be the first home educating family they have met.
- Business casual would be great, but what your family chooses to wear is up to you.
- Backpacks are no longer allowed in the Capitol, please make plans accordingly.
Are cameras allowed?
- Cameras and photography are permitted, but flash photography is not permitted during General Assembly sessions. If you get some great shots during the day, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org so we can share in follow-up publications.
What about lunch?
- You may choose from a variety of nearby restaurants. We will have a list of restaurants on High Street (across from the Statehouse) at the CHEO table.
- You may also choose to pack a lunch and eat outside (weather permitting) or in your car.
- No food is permitted in the Ohio Statehouse Atrium.
How can I prepare my children for their learning experience?
- Visit Ohio Statehouse to learn more about the building, history and more.
How will we get to the Statehouse Tours?
- All tours begin at the scheduled time in the Map Room in the Crypt (Basement).
- Check in there at the desk for your tour.
Who should come?
- School-age children are best suited for CHEO Capitol Day.
- We love babies, but this event may not be appropriate for very young children. Since legislative business is often conducted in the hallways, baby noises that echo can be a distraction.
- This is a family event. All children must be supervised by a parent for the entire day. Thanks!
If you have questions, please let us know via email, Facebook or call our office.
Office hours are Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9:00 – 2:00.