For over 35 years, CHEO has served as the state homeschool organization for Ohio and has remained committed to our mission “to preserve the God-given, constitutional right to home educate, and to support and encourage families in fulfilling this biblical responsibility”.
CHEO offers a variety of programs and events throughout the year that seek to encourage, train and equip families on their homeschool journey. Our legislative liaison, Melanie Elsey, has been on staff for over 25 years and attends monthly meetings in Columbus to stay informed of any changing legislation that could affect home educators. We are truly blessed to have her on our team and watching out for Ohio families.
CHEO also offers a year-round office staff who remains available to help with any issues you may encounter during your school year. We love serving home educating families across the state and are grateful for your continued support!
Who We Are
- CHEO is a member supported 501(c) 3 non-profit organization with the Christ-centered ministry of supporting equipping and protecting families in the home education of their children.
- We are a year-round ministry that functions to inform and educate families through various means including sponsored seminars and regional events. We also diligently work to monitor the Ohio legislative process in order to protect our freedom to home educate.
- While our beliefs and views are distinctively Christian, we seek to serve and protect all home educators in Ohio, regardless of ethnicity, religion or creed.
Who We Are Not
- CHEO does not operate or oversee any local support groups or co-ops.
- We do not offer a correspondence or online school, nor do we function as a curriculum provider.
- We do not set home education policy or guidelines, but rather seek to help others faithfully comply with Ohio homeschool regulations.
- We are not a substitute for membership with Home School Legal Defense Association.
Our Mission Statement:
CHEO acknowledges that the Lord Jesus Christ must be central and supreme in the rearing of our children, and that biblical education is an inseparable part of the Christian faith. CHEO seeks to preserve the God-given, constitutional right to home educate, and to support and encourage families in fulfilling this biblical responsibility.